Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15

I ran two miles this afternoon during Rob's lunch. I did my normal 2 mile outside route. I felt really good--stronger than yesterday. I am having some ab soreness that I think is from Tuesday night. He really hit us hard with the core workout.

Been sticking with the points really good today. I feel hungrier than usual. I am trying to figure out if that's "a comfort/boredom hunger" or "I am getting enough calories" hunger. I know it is going to trial and error figuring out snacks and meals. I am trying to incorporate the "filling foods."

I told my close friend from MOPS today I started WW. She was really surprised and said it seems like I do not really need it. She said there is no way I am overweight. This is why I do not want to reveal the WW to very many people--especially people at church. I have friends who are skinnier than me and work out less. I have friends who are overweight. I don't look down on them and I don't expect them to do what I do. I know I am doing this because 1) I don't know how to eat healthy. I really never learned how to do it. 2) I am done having kids and my body will not be shifting back to pregnancy 3) I do struggle with anxiety which triggers depression when it gets out of hand. Bad eating habits and weight gain do not help with that. Quite the opposite. I'd rather do natural methods than taking antidepressants. 4) When you look good, you feel good. 5) God gave me this body and I want to honor him with it.

That's why I don't see WW as "I'm trying to lose tons of weight." I see it as "I am really trying to eat better." I don't think we realize what we do to our bodies when we eat all kinds of junk. I don't think we realize the toll it takes and the mental drain it causes when we eat out of boredom or to "feel good." I want to get that "feel good" feeling from accomplishing something, running, playing with my kids, taking my kids outside, helping out at church, serving, etc. Not from eating a Brownie Blast Sunade from Dairy Queen. My family doctor when I was in high school/college told me the three ways to combat depression are 1) doing some form of exercise you like 2) getting outside even if you live in Michigan where it is gray all the time in the winter or Oregon where it rains half the year--even the outside air is enough to boost mood 3) doing something challenging like serving within your community, taking a course etc. At the time for me that was volunteering for Big Brother/Big Sister

I did not mean to write a book here. Sometimes writing it out helps me refocus.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I've done WW (3 times) it takes about 2 weeks for me to stop feeling hungry. Probably really bad for the first week and then not as much the 2nd week and then not at all after that. I think it has more to do with the fact that you're not eating AS MANY calories as prior to WW so your body is adjusting.

    You have good motivations - you'll be successful. Good job with the runnning - glad to hear you're feeling stronger with it already! I'm DYING without it!

    ReplyDelete