Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 25-28: Up the Mountain and Down

Exercise:  On Thursday and Friday I continued to rest.  Whatever GI bug that went through the house that unfortunately is still lingering is taking its time to fully exit the body.  I did not want to push it with early mornings and long runs.  Plus with climbing South Sister on Saturday, I wanted to be at my best.

Yesterday morning I left for Karen's house around 5:40 AM.  We had hoped to get to the trail head by 8 AM.  We had to stop in Sisters for gas and some wanted to grab breakfast.  It took a bit longer than we had hoped.  Then we took a wrong turn in Bend.  We did not reach the trail head until about 9:15 AM and started the hike at 9:30 AM.  There were about 12 in our whole group and we split up into a couple different groups. People seemed to like my pace so I led our group for most of the uphill and Karen led most of the downhill.  The beginning of the hike through the forest was quite steep. Once we got out of that we had a little bit of a break with rolling hills and meadow by Morraine Lake.  After we passed through the lake area, it was like we were at the actual rocky part of the mountain. We were doing steep rocky climbs again.

I felt totally fine.  It actually was harder to stop and start up again.  I grazed throughout the climb rather than stopping for a big lunch.  As we passed people coming down, we were told getting to the summit might not be possible.  Past the false summit which is about 1 1/2 miles before the actual summit, there was fifty miles/hour wind enough to blow people over, little visibility, and people were having a hard time finding the trail.  Bart who was from our church and climbed up earlier is an experienced hiker and warned us about all this, but said conditions can change really quickly on the mountain so it might be clearer by the time we get up there.  He said we should have no problem getting to the false summit.

We stopped for another break and it was the temperature dropped.  I didn't have any gloves or hat for my head.  I felt like I had enough layers, but my hands were freezing.  Putting my hands in my sleeves helped, but I knew once we hit snow--there was no way I could hike with my hands exposed to the snow and wind.  We reached the false summit and it was amazing.  The winds had died down and we could see everything.  We took another break there.  Then Karen, Rhonda, and I decided to continue to the summit.  Rhonda realized she had thick socks I could put on my hands and a head warmer and let me borrow them.  It made a significant difference and I was not cold anymore.  We reached a point we were hiking in snow and the winds were getting stronger.  We wanted to summit and a few other groups were.  Once we reached deep snow, we were losing the trail.  I just didn't feel confident continuing.  The other girls agreed.  We were about 200-300 feet below the summit--we were so close!  So basically we did summit.  That last little bit was not safe for us as amateur hikers.

Coming down seemed to take forever, but it usually is that way.  Once we reached the rocky parts, I started getting an upset stomach and cramping.  This was really frustrating as I wanted to enjoy the downward climb, but I was feeling sick in and out.  Once we reached the forest I felt better.  My appetite was coming back and the cramping was getting less.  We made it to the car around 6:30.  We stopped for supper in Bend and my appetite was fine.

The ride home seemed to also take forever.  That is the way it goes with dark two lane highways.  Rhonda and I took turns resting and then keeping Karen awake.  Karen didn't feel tired until we reached Stayton where she had to drop Rhonda off.

By the time I was home it was 11 PM.  I was pretty wired and could not fall asleep right away.  Derek got the GI bug last night around 7:30 PM.  It's all the same symptoms.  I woke up at 2:45 AM to a loud crash in the bathroom.  Apparently he went to the bathroom and got disoriented and fell right by the toilet hitting the trash can.  He was laying there curled up in a ball.  I woke him up and he started crying, but thankfully was not hurt.  We don't think he passed out...just was in that sleep stage and disoriented.  He seems better this morning, but I think this GI thing lasts a few days.

My GI system is still not back to normal from yesterday on the hike.  I also have a sore throat and might be catching a cold too.  It was still well worth the hike and everything--I just would like to feel back to normal soon.  I guess rest is the best medicine for today.  Unfortunately I am missing church for the second week in a row.

Food:  I did manage to eat healthy through all this.  Friday morning my breakfast was not great--a chocolate chip pancakes and apple bread.  We are near the end of our groceries and that make it difficult.  But for lunch I made mostly fruits and vegetables.

Sleep:  The last two nights I have not slept great and that might be making the GI bug not heal properly.  Friday night I was nervous for the hike and awoke several times in the night.  Last night it was waking up to Derek and having a slight headache.  Nothing GI related kept me up in the night--it has all seem to come this morning.  I am hoping to take a nap this afternoon and get to bed by 10 tonight and hopefully have a healthy upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment