Sunday, September 7, 2014

I Am A Nutrition Rebel

I am a nutrition rebel.  I am not one to sit with a bag of Cheetos watching a TV program and polish off the whole bag in one sitting.  I can eat 2 or 3 call it good.  Aside from drinking too much Mountain Dew at different points in my life, I don't deal with many food addictions.

But I'm a nutrition rebel because I have heard several "healthy eating" talks in the last few years and I often leave frustrated and confused.  Here's my reasons why...

1)  The speakers do not emphasize exercise enough.  Healthy eating and exercise are partners.  Our bodies were made to move and be worked...not to be stagnant.  Many of my "non-running" and "little to no exercise" friends don't really get it.  Their thoughts are: "Ugh I have to exercise...it's something I HAVE to do but I don't want to" whereas my thoughts over the years became: "I can't afford NOT to exercise and I can't imagine not doing it."
2)  I get flustered by all the proteins, good carbs, bad carbs, vitamins, good fat, bad fat, and keeping it all straight.  Not to mention fad diets (it seems like everyone is gluten free these days).  It seems like if one thing is bad for you then in a few years it's all the sudden good for you again.
3)  I don't want to spend more money than what I am already spending.  I don't want to buy expensive vitamins or shakes.  I don't want to buy pricey foods at specialty stores.

But this is the problem:  I exercise six days a week and compete in running races, but I still was asked last spring if I am pregnant.  I have to accept my body the way it is, but yet is it OK to want my abs less flabby?  Is this even possible?  Am I chasing the wrong goal?

 I have done My Fitness Pal in the past.  I don't gain a lot of weight nor do I lose much.  So it's a little bit up and a little bit down. My profile looks like I lost 15 pounds, but it is not true.  I also don't think they give me enough calories.  Sometimes I have felt dizzy and faint and extremely hungry by 5 PM.  There is no way I could have three meals and two snacks and stay within the calories unless I was eating massive amounts of kale and lettuce.

I struggle with anxiety.  Depression and anxiety run rampant in my family.  I also get bad PMS and would probably be diagnosed with PMDD.  I don't want to keep taking more medication.  I have heard that cutting out caffeine, white sugars, sweets, bad carbs, etc. helps with the symptoms.  So maybe this is an experiment.  Maybe it's a lifestyle change. Maybe I'll stop putting my nose in the air when someone else gives me a nutrition talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment