Monday, May 24, 2010

May 21 - 24 and the Run for Iris 5K

Sanity returns. I am doing much better. The last couple days have been smoother. And normal mood wise. I am pretty sure I was dealing with an imbalance of hormones again. I also made some significant changes to my morning routine. That has helped more than I ever believed it would.

On Friday I did a short run about a mile and a half in this crummy, cold, wet weather. It is painful right now to go on facebook and see all the people in Chicago and Michigan who are experiencing 80's. Since I came home from Chicago a little over a week ago, it's been nothing but this gray, cold, miserable weather. I hate looking at the ten day forecast because it is not going to change. I love our summers here and I think we have the best autumn season. May is bad and June can be awful. That is my rant on the weather. I know if I were still living in Michigan I would be begging to get out of the snow every winter. That I don't miss at all. Anyway I kept my run on Friday short because I knew I would be racing on Saturday. We were a little pressed for time because we were going out for our anniversary Friday night and I had a MOPS event during the day. Plus some other things to get done.

On Saturday I ran in the Run For the Iris 5K in Keizer. Originally Rob was going to come with the kids. When we saw how awful the weather was we dropped that idea. I am really glad they didn't come. It would have been nice to have them there. It was too cold. It felt colder than when I ran the 5K in January! Anyway Trena picked me up and we picked up our packet. We had about a half hour before the race started. We sat in her car for fifteen minutes, then stretched and did a lap around Starbucks.

When I started the race, I realized my feet were numb. This was the first time I ever ran a race with my feet numb. The feeeling in them started to come back after the first mile. The course was straight down Liberty and back. No turns or anything. Only one small hill. I felt really strong the whole way. I was able to pick up my pace at the third mile and sprint at the end. My time was 26:18 which is a whole three minutes better than January. It's not my PR which is like 24:50 if I remember right. That was from the Fruitport 5K in 2004. Trena was right behind me with 27 and a few extra seconds. We both felt pretty pleased with how we did. We could not stick around afterwards for the awards and parade as Trena had to get to a wedding. I needed to get home because I had a lot to do and we were having a bunch of people over for Sunday. I don't get the prerace jitters as much. I get really pumped up after I race and can't wait to race again.

I will probably run in Tracy's 6.21 K at the end of June and I am also looking into that breast cancer 5K a couple days later. The cancer one is at Minto Brown which is almost all flat terrain. I really want to do a 5K pushing Derek in the stroller. Kendra said I could borrow her stroller. I have to find out if the breast cancer one will allow strollers because Tracy's won't.

I also started my fundraising campaign for Team Winter. I really feel like God led me to this charitable organization. I trust Him with whatever happens--whether I reach my goal or if I don't. I will do the best I can. I am looking at doing some kind of soup sale in the fall. I am planning on doing the Columbia Gorge marathon. I talked to someone on Saturday who knew a lot about it. She said it's a beautiful run and I should enjoy the scenery.

Yesterday I did not exercise. We had friends over for lunch and by the time we got done cleaning the kitchen it was close to 4:30 PM. I stayed home from evening church because Kara was crabby. Derek was exhausted. He's been running a low grade fever, but I am pretty sure it's related to a cough and cold that Kara has too. His appetite is normal. He ate all his supper and asked for a second helping.

Today I made it to morning Group Power. Karen was not the instructor this morning. It was the instructor from the Biking Class. This lady is like Iron Woman. She is so buff and strong. I bet she can eat whatever she wants. She teaches like 5-6 classes a day. It was a great workout and I feel so much more confident with the various tracks. I have not increased my weights the last few weeks. I have really been focusing on my form.

Weight wise, I hit 125 which I am really happy about. I stick with the points pretty well and found some of my favorite meals. It's much harder going out to eat. I went over when we went out for our anniversary--not quite as bad as when we ate at Red Lobster when my mom was here. I don't think I will ever go back to sugar pop. I'm a Diet drinker now for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment