Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How I found Team Winter

I posted this on my other blog but wanted to post it here as well...

In May 3, 2008 Michael turned 40 years old. He and his wife Dawn Estelle were entering the prime years of parenting their four children ages 5, 7, 9, and 11--three boys and one girl. Gone were the years of potty training and afternoon naps. It was much easier to go skiing together as a family or take a day trip to the beach. They are an active bunch. Their nine year old, Winter, had already been competing in triathlons at her young age. Michael with Winter were going to launch, Team Winter, a charitable organization. Prior to this they were looking for a cause to raise funds for and chose childhood obesity.

However on that May 3rd everything changed. On his birthday, Michael was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of prostate cancer. Despite a courageous battle, Michael passed away on March 12th, 2009 in Gaylord Michigan (where his family resided at the time). Following Michael's diagnosis, the entire family became involved with Athletes For A Cure, a branch of the Prostate Cancer Foundation.During his battle with prostate cancer and after his passing away, Winter continues to run, bike, and swim for Athletes For A Cure. She founded Team Winter which will raise money for prostate cancer research and find ways to cure this disease her dad fell victim to.

Winter and her family moved to Oregon almost exactly a year ago. They actually live less than five minutes from us and Winter goes to school at the middle school down the street from us. I actually ran into her at the gym last week and it was the first I met her. I first read about her story last summer in our local paper. At the time I was six months pregnant with Kara and running a marathon was not even an option. Four years ago in the summer of 2006, I trained for the Portland Marathon which I ran that October. After seeing some of my friends involved in breast cancer runs and walks, I wanted to do something similar. I really wanted to do a run in memory of my grandpa. The organization I chose had an entry fee and a requirement to raise a certain amount. At the time Rob was finishing seminary. He was working part time and I was doing odd jobs here and there while staying home with Hailey. We barely had enough to buy running shoes or pay the Portland Marathon entry fee. I always kept the dream inside and knew one day I would be able to do it. After reading Winter's story last summer, I was inspired. I became excited about the idea of running in memory of Grandpa while creating prostate cancer awareness.

My Grandpa Mensink was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1981. It had already spread to his spine. I was four years old at the time and I have no memory of when my parents received that news. My only memories of Grandpa were when he had cancer. I don't remember him complaining of pain, chemo treatments, or hospital visits. If anything I remember the exact opposite--his cheerful smile, his creative ways at making us laugh, and the numerous vacations we took with him and my grandma. We rented cottages on the lake and went camping. He came to "Grandparents Day" at my school. I remember sitting with him outside on lawn chairs on the driveway as the sun was beginning to set. I am grateful for these childhood moments. I will never forget them. In January of 1989, Grandpa went home. I was in sixth grade. Though the events of his last days on earth, his death, and funeral were heartbreaking and even confusing as a young adolescent, I knew I was blessed to have him in my life. Even if it is was a short period of time.

This summer I will be running a few 5Ks and/or 10Ks and ending this fall with a full marathon. I am thrilled to be running for Team Winter. My hopes is I can raise $1,000 for Team Winter. Please join my efforts by making a donation. You can do so directly to my fundraising website I've also created a facebook page. Just search for 19 Miles and Counting and join. Why 19 miles? When I ran Portland, this was the most trying part of the race for me. I was questioning why I did this and if I could go on. Then a fellow runner told me to walk up the next hill and keep going. He encouraged me that I could do it. I don't know from experience, but I am sure cancer is even more painful and trying than nineteen miles. This is one thing I can do. I am excited to take it on. I hope you'll consider donating to my cause!

I will be kicking off my running with the Run For the Iris 5K on May 22nd in Keizer. From there I hope do another 5K or 10K in June or July and then again in August. I have not decided on a marathon yet, but have a couple options. It will probably be one in Oregon or Washington. We're waiting to figure out some vacation schedules and other commitments before I can determine which one to do. Because most marathons are on Sundays and that is our busiest day of the week, it takes some juggling of schedules. Rob would really like to see me finish as he did not get this opportunity when I ran Portland. Thanks for reading about my latest endeavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment