Tuesday, February 3, 2015

1/30 - 2/3: 13 miles and I miss Spartan

So here is a recap of the last few days.  On Saturday I was successful of getting out of bed at 6:30 am and running 13 miles!  I stunk it on the hills again.  I don't think I could run successfully up a hill without stopping.  It was not as much my thighs but fatigue...no willpower.  It might because I worked out approximately 10 days in a row with no break.  Also it was so much colder than I thought it would be.  I looked at the Weather Channel app before I went to bed and it said it would be around the mid 30's which I dressed for.  My hands were absolutely freezing and it made my whole body uncomfortable.  I put them in my sleeves but they were still cold--it reminded me of climbing South Sister with freezing hands.  The temperature at Kuebler and Commercial said 27 degrees--so much for mid 30's.  It took a good hour and a half before I wasn't cold anymore.  Even after coming home my body temperature was all out of whack for awhile.  I really enjoy running in the Sunnyslope and Salem Heights neighborhoods.  The hills stink, but I needed a change. I was sick of all the same routes.

I am wondering if it would make any difference to do hill workouts once in awhile with track runs.  I know the triathlon club does them.  The track itself is at the bottom of hill and they run all the way to the top and back several times.  It sounds miserable to me.  I am willing to try it only if it's early morning and not many people are around.

Sunday was a well deserved rest day.

Yesterday I ran in the evening.  It is finally a light after 5 pm but I was in the dark by the time I finished.  I did 5 miles and my run was world's different from last week.  I was going fast--like 8-9 minute miles.  I also cruised up the hills without having to slow down.  I think the rest day made a huge difference.

I could have run today but I think Tuesday is going to be my official rest day.  It works out well that way.  I felt like I still need the rest.  It is a kick back week in terms of marathon training and technically I am supposed to take an extra day off.  The weather is rainy today anyway.

I really miss Spartan.  I wish it was not so expensive.  I would love another month of it.

I read an article on Hal Higdon's Facebook page about how training for a marathon is not a good weight loss plan. He says to lose weight and get healthy and then train for a marathon which makes a lot of sense. Some people even gain weight while training.  The people who commented about gaining weight also said they overate or they ate a lot of junk.  Which is exactly where I was headed.  My Fitness Pal is helping me not to overeat and eat the right foods.  I notice a difference that I feel a little more balanced during the day.  My anxiety and PMS has not been non-existent but it has been mild.  I am not going to be a slave to MFP--if I go over a few calories I am not going to sweat it.  On the days of my long runs I am always way under even though I do try to eat more on those days and the day before.  Hal Higdon recommends not eating as much at night and having lighter suppers.  Which is how we eat.  Our suppers are the right portion.  We have told the kids you don't need to eat until you are "stuff your face full."  The rest of the world doesn't eat like that anyway.  They kind of graze and eat throughout the day anyway which I also do on my busy days.

I slept amazing last night.  I slept right to the alarm.  I put a little lavender oil in my pillow and I think it helped me fall asleep in a more relaxed state.

No comments:

Post a Comment