Monday, June 28, 2010

Week #2 which turned into Week #4

Monday: Group Power & 3 Miles


I so did not want to get up early this morning and I am surprised I did. I feel like I have been dealing with some off and on anxiety lately. Thankfully it went away mid morning and I felt "normal" the rest of the day. I made it through Group Power and I did really well. The lunges were so much better--no knee strain at all. I am going to try and increase my weight a little bit on Wednesday...if I make it there. It really is a battle to get out of bed.


I did my three miles on the treadmill afterwards. I can't stand the treadmill, but I had a better experience this time around. I did the 5K mode and the time we by really fast. Since I came from Power I ran at a slightly slower speed. I think I could have increased it as time went on, but I was a little lazy.


Tuesday: 5 Miles


I did my 5 mile route that goes by Sumpter Park and I love, love, love this course. I see so many runners. The hills are doable. It is quiet, scenic, and almost refreshing. I kind of look forward to it. Aside from my right heel hurting, it went really well. I was a little more fatigued than normal at first, but once I got to Holder Street which about a mile, I felt better.


Why did it turn into Week #4. After talking to Trena Monday I realized her reception will probably be over by 5:00 PM on October 9th. That would give me more than enough time to go to Portland, get a decent night sleep in a hotel, and run the Portland Marathon the next day. If we could find a sitter, Rob could come with me Saturday night and possibly watch me start on Sunday. It makes more sense than running the Columbia Gorge two days after our vacation to Arizona. Where I might add we will be hiking and I might pull something. Which is exactly what happened when we went to Belize. I could not run for two weeks and almost had to drop out of a race. I would love to not have the marathon hanging over my head while on vacation. I get very, very nervous before races and I cannot imagine how I am going to feel before the marathon. Probably not as bad since it is my second time through. Trena's wedding will be a great distraction. I would LOVE to do Portland again since I know the course better and I can run with a pacing group. It is a better marathon for rookies. I still consider myself a rookie because I have not done many long races. There are hills, but not as many as Columbia Gorge. The course for the most part is pretty flat. I will make a final decision next. For now, I am training like I am doing Portland which is two weeks earlier...and puts me at Week #4. It also means I have do 11 miles on Friday. Bleck.



Wednesday: Group Power


And I slept. With our evenings so full lately and being so busy with VBS, I cannot get up at 4:48 AM twice a week. Now that Kara is sleeping until 7:30 AM or 8:00 AM, I can now run at 6 or even 6:30. It is really hard to get up for Power twice a week. I am so dead by 9:00 PM at night. I drag in the afternoon. Once our schedule lightens in a couple weeks, it might be more realistic. Or else I can go to an evening Power. Right now it is not possible. I feel my body and mind need a day off midweek. I am still keeping up with the running and working out five days a week. I think that's pretty good considering my demands at home. I felt so much better that I slept until 7:30 AM. I felt good all day long.


Thursday: 3 Miles


So nice to be able to run at 6:30 AM and sleep that long. When Kara was getting up at 6 or 6:30 I had to try and be out the door at 5:30 AM. I ran my old 3 mile route from when we first moved here which is down Liberty to Vista and back. I was in the mood for something boring and uneventful. It was a good run. The little hills I used to struggle on are now so easy.

Friday: 11 Miles

Skipped the long run due to some scheduling conflicts. I did not cross train either. I did go swimming. But I took both Hailey and Derek. Playing with them in the pool doesn't really count as exercise. I needed the sleep. Our evenings have been so busy lately. I know I made the right decision

Saturday: Cross Train

I did the long run this morning and I started at 6:10 AM and finished shortly after 8:00 AM. I expanded my route from last week and ran up to Mildred which is a perfect running neighborhood with rolling hills, picturesque. quiet, and I saw a hanful of runners as well. I started out feeling kind of crummy like I was dragging. But I felt better around Mile #3. Ironically I felt the best around Mile #8. Usually by this point I start to drag. The Battlecreek stretch is getting much easier. I hardly noticed the hills. I refueled and drank Vitamin water at every light (which was maybe three or four at the most). I ran the whole way except I walked about a quarter of the massive hill on Vista. It was a crazy insane hill. I did not waste my energy running up the whole thing. Plus I was like at Mile #9 by that point. I also walked before the little hill on Browning around Mile #10 more to refuel. I was starting to feel a little dehydrated. I felt great when I came home. Aside that my right heel starting hurting again and my right ankle feels strained. But I don't think it classifies as an injury.

I am doing Portland for sure. I am really pumped up about this! I was open to doing Columbia Gorge and looking forward to seeing more of the gorge. But Portland works out much better with our schedule and will be a better race for me overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment