Saturday, June 5, 2010

June 4 & 5

Big running weekend!

Yesterday I ran eight miles. I drove to Bush Park and parked the car in the lower lot. Then I did two full laps around the park (which amounted to around three miles), then ran downtown to Riverfront Park, did two laps around Riverfront, ran back to Bush and did a final lap around Bush. The weather was a little gray and cool, but I did not get rained on. Some of the paths at Bush were very muddy and wet, but were still doable. It was an awesome run. It was one of those days I felt like I could run forever. I felt like I could go on for miles. I felt SO strong. I think the change of scenery helped. I love running downtown, but I hit a lot of lights going back from Riverfront to Bush. I found the pedestrian bridge that goes from Riverfront to Wallace Marine Park. I might try it next time. Or else the bike path that goes from Commercial Street to Minto Brown Park.

I had a better week. With potty training Derek and dealing with the nasty weather, I felt overwhelmed by all the noise and all the demands. On Thursday morning I had Derek on the potty screaming, Kara screaming in her high chair, and Hailey asking me to glue this tiny dimed sized magnet she decided to throw against the wall. Plus I had soap on the stove (we started making our own laundry detergent). She kept asking for the glue over and over again. I felt like 1) asking her she really thinks gluing a silly magnet is important to me considering everything else I have going. 2) throwing the magnet out the window 3) screaming. Thankfully I didn't do any of those three things. I got Kara out of her chair and into her crib, got Derek back into his pants, got the soap off the stove, and even found the glue and fixed Hailey's magnet. It is draining and takes every ounce of energy out of me to act the way I'm supposed to and not this crabby, edgy, mean Amy.

When I run, all this escapes me. I never wear an iPod (I don't own one anyway) because running is my solitude. I love the sounds of nature. I love being entertained by the thoughts in my own head. I feel free. I feel confident. I feel like I can tackle the world. When I come home these feelings last a little while.

Today it was a nice warm spring day. I ran four miles and did the neighborhood back behind Roths. This is a great place to run because it is quiet, there's hardly any traffic, and there are hills. I need to do more hills. The Columbia Gorge Marathon is a hilly course and is challening. I questioned whether I can do it. It's only my second marathon. I do pretty well on hills. I got really used to them when we lived close to the dunes in Michigan. I want to be more comfortable with them because they are mentally challenging for me than physically. I only run on the treadmill once a week. I do three to four runs outside so I know I am getting good cross country type training.

Today was a little harder run. It took a mile before I finally felt like I was "in the zone." I did enjoy the hills today and did not have to stop and walk at all.

Trying to decide whether I want to skip Power one day this week and run instead and then do an extra workout of swimming. Or else try to get over to the gym an evening this week and swim. We're going to try and have our garage sale this weekend so ideally I'd like to do my long run on Thursday. Rob and I are trying to do ab workouts three times a week. We did them Thursday night and I wasn't quite as sore this time. He needs to keep doing them so he can test for his next belt in the late summer/early fall. The evening hits and we're so tired that we lose all motivation. Who wants to do stomach crunches at 9PM at night!?

Hoping to raise more funds for Team Winter. Trying to get the word out there. God put this charity on my heart and I'm trusting He will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment