Monday, March 30, 2015

3/26 - 3/30 End of Spring Break

So we're reaching the tail end of Spring Break week.  But I am already getting excited for summer...and excited for spring too.  Last April I hit a point where I was very overwhelmed and on the verge of burnout.  I didn't see it coming at all, but putting the pieces together--it makes sense.  So this spring we aren't doing any swim lessons or swim team and I had to end my running club I started two years ago.  This was a hard decision.  I honestly feel like I have to cut things out my schedule I love to make room for things I don't love as much.  However Hailey make practice with the track team and I asked if I could observe/volunteer/help on Wednesdays so I am hoping this is possible.  I will still run and bike with Derek when I can.  The kids are so incredibly active on their own--skating, biking, running, playing outside, hiking.  They don't need a lot of organized activities right now.  But when I look at April I feel like I have more breathing room and the days don't feel quite so overwhelming.

Spring Break has been a tremendous blessing.  The downtime and rest has been amazing and I feel incredibly refreshed and bonded with the family.  The kids have done so well and their conflict is minimal.  I am happy to be at home versus wanting to get out of here.

For exercise on Tuesday I went to Ride at 9:30 am just after my parents left.  The best "ride" I have been to in awhile.  I really pushed myself.  I love exercising mid morning and I might have opportunities to this more on Fridays in the summer when I'm not working.  On Wednesday Erica and I swam around 7:30 am.  We did a shorter workout.  She is due this weekend so she couldn't push it.  I felt more tired than normal, but still great to be in the pool.  At 5 PM I went to Power and she worked us so hard.  My triceps and biceps are very sore.  Yesterday I ran 9 miles in the evening--my first sunset run of the season.  It was amazing--I was going to fast and could push myself.  I don't think I stopped at all except at lights.  I love it when you feel like you can run forever.

Now it is Monday and Spring Break is officially over, but it was a very good one.  On Friday I ran 6 miles at the track in the late morning and it was sunny and beautiful.  On Saturday I ran 13 miles and I mixed up a route of various locations including the Battle Creek neighborhood for some variety.  Yesterday I had no plans on working out but Derek & I biked an hour at Minto Brown which I thoroughly enjoyed.   Now I'm feeling more motivated to get my bike out.

Last night I was dealing with PMS related symptoms which always affects my sleep. Waking up with cramping, head ache, and not sleeping well--I did not get up and run.  I should be able to (hopefully) run this evening.

In my ongoing struggles with anxiety my brain reverts to a flight/fight mode in situations that should not constitute this type of reaction.  Sometimes I have a physical reaction which for me is usually shaky arms, queasy stomach, faster breathing etc.  I am tracking this the next few days and seeing what causes me to overreact.  I think if I saw my counselor again he would recommend doing the same thing so it's not worth making an appointment quite yet.  It happens almost all the time at home and most of the time with my own kids and rarely if ever friends, child care kids, child care parents etc.  I think I know how to function in "a work mode" very well.  Which explains sometimes on days off or weekends or school breaks I tend to struggle more with my moods and emotions.  You think I'd be more relaxed but often I'm more on edge.

Shoes:  479 miles left on the Newtons.

Eating and sleeping has been good aside from sleep the last two nights.  I am almost certain it is related to PMS.  Tracking all this on my ipad has helped me put a finger on that.  I am going to keep track of what I eat again now that Spring Break is over, but weight loss isn't really the goal...just maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment