Monday, November 9, 2015

Last Week and IT Band Pain...again

There were some bright spots from last week...Kara's birthday, taking Kara and her friends out, youth group, Saturday night with friends etc. But overall it was a hard week.  There was more emotions than normal.  I felt frazzled and behind all week long and it's been awhile since I felt that way.  I felt fatigued...not tired...because I am getting enough sleep and sleeping well.  Just fatigue.  And Derek was sick too and on my absolute busiest day.  I was not convinced I was not getting it because my stomach felt really off Thursday night.  I had a sinus headache off and on all day Thursday that lingered into Friday.  Saturday I was an emotional mess because I knew I was not going to get everything done.  And I didn't.  But life goes on.

Exercise wise I did not do as much last week as I hoped.  I ran Monday evening, did Power with Tracy on Tuesday, swam with Erica and Tracy on Wednesday and that was it.  Nothing Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  That is just the way it goes.  Eating was not great either.

So now it's Monday.  I got out the door at 5:50 to go running with Tracy.  At first it was a great run.  Even though she dragged me up the Jones hill I always avoid. It was good for me to face my fears and run up it.  My right calf has still been hurting.  Around mile 3 1/2 my IT band flared up.  I felt like whole right leg was throbbing.  I was a little frustrated because I haven't felt it since August.  I have had so many good runs since then.  I don't know if it's related to the calf muscle or if it's two separate injuries.  The fact I have not been rolling, not been stretching, and I did yoga two weeks ago and it hurt like crazy.  I am too tight so it's not a big shocker.

The last time it came on I felt so much anxiety and thought my running days were over.  No more marathons.  No more long races.  Good-bye running.  Today I actually feel peace.  It's just an injury and I may do long distances again.  Even if I don't--it was a blast doing them and I loved the experience. Some people only do one marathon or no marathons.  I got to do four.   Running is not my whole identity.  I love swimming.  I am learning to love biking.  I like Group Power.  There are other things I can try too.  I am so excited to do triathlon again this spring and work on that.  Because I can run about 3-4 miles right now without pain and that's a sprint tri distance.

I need to be (and I will be) more consistent with the rolling, stretching, and try to do 10-15 minutes of yoga.  I am going to try and run again this weekend.  I'll stop at 3 miles if I feel the pain coming on again.

I just have been struggling to take care of myself again--eating junk, not stretching, giving into my anxiety, etc.  I think I can get back on track again.  I have a feeling it's going to be a really good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment