Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Injuries stink

If I had to diagnose myself (which I claim to have zero sports medicine experience and no medical knowledge other than the six veterinary technology classes I took years ago) I would say that I have another bout of IT syndrome again and tendonitis or bursitis in my ankle on the same leg.  Whether the two are related is beyond me...I have no idea.  The problem is my ankle hurts while I am not running.  It actually feels OK while running.  I can feel a very slight discomfort but nothing that hinders my running.  I have no IT band pain while I am not running.  I don't feel it at all.  I do have more discomfort while running.  I only ran a little less than two miles with Derek today going about a 12 1/2 minute mile pace.  I felt slight IT band pain coming on--not nearly as bad as yesterday--but it was there.

All the websites I read said you don't really have to stop running with either of them.  I am not pushing it super hard because I am not training for a long distance right now.  I am icing 2-3 times a day, rolling the IT band 2-3 times, and stretching.  I have been doing yoga the last two afternoons.  I think it helps...if anything the lack of stretching is what probably caused this in the first place.  I was pretty tight all the time.  I only stretched really well after Group Power and Ride...rarely before or after running.

So I am babying the ankle and the leg itself.  Probably walking in my black boots with a heel on them aggravated the ankle.  I wore these boots almost the whole time I was in Chicago and I wore my brown boots with a heel on them to the pumpkin patch--kind of dumb.  I put a lot of pressure on my ankle the way I sit and rest my other leg on it--changing that.

Today I didn't feel at peace.  Like I really want to run long distances again.  I am nervous this is the end and this will be my life.  Then I think--hey I am still running.  I can still actually run.  It's not like a stress fracture where I can't run at all.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I think the rolling helps the most.  Like I can feel the pressure points and I feel relief even if it hurts.  I am not as worried about the ankle because it don't think it's shin splints or a stress fracture--it would hurt way more.

The good news is I am eating really well.  It's not that hard to jump back into that.  I am sleeping pretty well too.

I will call Dr. V if this pain continues well into the New Year.  I know some of these injuries are stubborn and take a long time to heal.  Praying for recovery so I can run again without pain--which ironically I was doing in September & October.  Then the IT band started to flare up again and the ankle got worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment