Sunday, August 5, 2018

Pre-Marathon Training Week #3, #4, and #5 of 5

Monday = Interval workouts at Wendy Kroger Park.  Warm up, two laps with a recovery lap in between.  One lap with a recovery lap in between.  Cool down.  These speed workouts are HARD but I am getting better.  I like running in the park close to home versus driving all the way to the track.

Tuesday = Ran 4.4 miles with Tracy.  Lots of hills!  I felt pretty strong and faster than last week.

Wednesday = Swim 1200 yards in the outdoor pool.  I timed my 500 yard and it was 12 1/2 minutes.  Not bad.

So I have no recollection of what happened after that Wednesday.  I believe I ran on that Friday and it was not a great run.  I felt pretty tired and slow even though I ran with Tracy.  On Saturday I left for New Mexico where I was until the following Saturday.  I was not in a safe enough area to go for a run.  I was active enough--hiking, swimming with kids, and walking.  I was home all day Sunday and was beyond exhausted.  I fell asleep on the couch in the afternoon and slept extremely hard.  I woke up before Rob left for the evening service and thought it was evening.  I had that feeling of being so tired that I felt sick.  As I walked around and started packing for Pentiction, I felt significantly better.

We left for Penticton on Monday and came home yesterday.  I was in an area where people train for triathlons.  The swimming and running is amazing.  With the smoky air, the desire to be with family, and still being so sleep deprived--I opted not to exercise at all.  I did not feel guilty and it did not bother me at all.  I felt like my body was screaming for rest and I had to give it that.  I had much on my mind from New Mexico I had to process.  I needed to reconnect with Rob & Kara again.  I also don't feel guilty or all that disappointed about not doing a triathlon at the end of the summer.  I feel like my priorities this summer had to be my family.  I can't ever get these years back with them.  I don't miss the early morning workouts but I will welcome them once I go back to work at the end of this month.

If I am going to try and do Phoenix Rock and Roll, then training starts this coming week.  I can slowly ease back into it.  I have to do my physical therapy or I am pretty guaranteed to have IT band issues again.  I already feel my knee starting to weaken again.

I am ready to run again and see what my body can do. I think I should know once I add on the miles if my knee can handle marathon training.  If it can't--I am OK doing the half.  I think I could handle the half even if I am pain the last part of it.  I love fall running and welcome the crisp cold air.  I will continue to do weights on my own, swim with the triathletes, and bike outside or with Group Ride.  I feel like I am not going to as many classes at the Courthouse but I am still using the facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment