Sunday, August 12, 2018

Marathon Training Week #1

Wow...this has been quite the week.  Hours before Rob's vacation ended we were hit hard with a situation that left us in a tailspin for the next 48 hours.  I had to put everything on hold so I could focus on my middle school group.  Yesterday I was an emotional time bomb.  I am ready to start having as normal of a day as I can despite everything.  The work needs to get done and we still have a few weeks left of the summer.

I started this week with the goal to run the Phoenix Rock and Roll in January. Kind of a crazy week to start that.  I have to push myself out the door to go and workout.  I would rather sit at the computer and surf Facebook...really that's my default action to anything I don't want to do.  I need to workout.  I always feel better after I do.

Monday = Run 3 mile with an average pace of 9:43

So much has happened since Monday that I hardly remember this run and where I actually ran to.  I did a "lolipop" loop through the neighborhood.  I hadn't run in two weeks so I thought it would be painful.  I actually felt pretty good and like I could maintain a good pace.  I did my PT exercises soon after I ran.

Tuesday = Ropes course

I was camping with the middle schoolers so I did not do an actual workout.  I was active on the ropes course with them.  I woke up Tuesday morning with a terrible sinus head ache.  I drank three cups of coffee thinking the caffeine would shake it.  Then I drank two Gatorades and one water thinking I was dehydrated.  It would pulse at times and affect my stomach.  I didn't have much of an appetite and felt nausea especially in the air conditioned van.  I pushed through it because it was not bad enough that I had to lay down.  It went right away at 4:30 after I swam in Hagg Lake with the kids.  My appetite came back quickly and I was SO hungry.  If I would have had Advil or Muccinex or Sudafed along, it probably would have gone right away.  I didn't have anything to take.  I have been congested in the mornings with itchy eyes so I think the air quality might have affected my sinuses.

Wednesday = Weights

I did weights in the weight room and my PT exercises.  I still enjoy doing this versus going to Group Power.  I like the slower pace and I like being done in a half hour.

Thursday = Swam 1,000 yards (about a 1/2 hour)

I hate swimming when I under on a time crunch.  I had to get to VBS on time to pick up the kids and then get to Keizer for Hailey's hair cut.  Plus I got my site assignment for the fall.  Then I found myself engaged in some work related drama about fall placements.  Not to mention everything else we have been dealing with this week.  It was all way too much.  I am so glad I got a workout in.  I think if I would have waited until the afternoon it would not have happened.  I enjoyed swimming at the Courthouse again.  I don't like the 10 AM time slot because it is so busy with water aerobics.  I got a lane right away.

Friday = Ran 6.02 miles with an average pace of around 9:19

I ran with Tracy, Michelle & Michelle's dog.  We went up some big hills and I tackled them fine.  Getting in six miles was hard.  It reminded me that I have a lot of work to do to get my mileage back up.  I also need to work on eating a little healthier because that does make a difference.  I was very happy and could reach my goal of 6.

Saturday = Stationary Bike 42 minutes

I woke up crummy and emotional.  I thought it would be better to stay home and clean versus go right to the gym.  I went later in the afternoon and did intervals on the bike.  It was a great workout.  I listened to Christian music which has been helpful due to all the stuff we've been hit with this week.

Sunday = Ran 3 miles:  Intervals at the park

I was going to wait until the afternoon to run.  But I was glad I got out before church.  I did a slow mile, 4 laps at the park with recovery laps in between and a half mile home.  I do like doing intervals close to home versus driving all the way to the track.

A good first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment