Thursday, September 3, 2015

End of Summer and Goals for the Fall

I have not blogged in awhile but I am thankful that I have been more consistent with exercise this summer compared to other summers.  My goal was to work on cycling and I have done that...and gained more confidence too.  I have only been running once a week mostly due to IT band issues that I am not convinced are completely gone.  Tracy and I ran the last two Monday mornings.  Our pace is faster than normal and we're pushing for 5-6 miles versus 3 or 4. We may start doing more hill training as well.  I can keep up just fine and I only feel the IT band slightly around Mile #5.  I'm going to try running twice a week once school starts, but I am not training for any running races anytime soon.  I need to be more consistent with rolling and flexibility training--I have slacked off the last two weeks.  

I have been consistent with Power once or twice a week.  I went last week on Friday at 5 PM.  I went this week on Monday at 5 PM and plan on going tomorrow at 9:30 AM.  I have not gone to early morning Power since I went with Tracy in early July.  It is very hard to get up for it when I was having hockey Wednesday nights.  My goal once school starts is to go to it since I start work at 7:15 AM on Thursdays.  The problem is I will now have youth group on Wednesday nights and sometimes won't be home until 9.  I think I can still make it work.

I have biked twice a week consistently--one of those times being Ride and the other outside cycling.  Last Friday I biked from Lockhaven to Keizer all the way to Willamette Mission State Park and back--a total of 25 miles.  It was a great ride.  I really wish I could bike with my tri friends but it has not worked out schedule wise.  They are all single or married without kids and be gone for several hours on a Saturday late morning whereas I have to work around four other schedules.  I don't mind biking alone because I enjoy the solitude of it.  But I do worry about being stranded with a flat tire or crashing.  I try to bike in places that have biker traffic.  I'm sure eventually I will be able to do a ride with them, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.  I also enjoy biking at Minto Brown in the mornings and I have done that a couple times this summer.

So my tentative schedule for the fall starting next week would be:  Monday = Run with friends  Tuesday = Swim with friends  Wednesday = Ride  Thursday = Power  Friday =  Rest   Saturday = Outside bike and/or Power  Sunday = Run by myself

It is obviously going to vary week to week especially with weekend plans.  But it's good to have a tentative plan.  Once triathlon season gets closer late winter, I'll start following some sort of tri plan.  I want to do one more tris next spring/early summer and then re-evaluate.  Then maybe train for a longer running race or just simply do what I've doing all summer--exercise for the benefit of it instead of training for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment