Wednesday, August 19, 2015

IT Band Better & Clean Eating

So far this week has been better.  I had side effects again last night, but they didn't come on nearly as strong.  Dr. M said I could have it for another week or so.

On Sunday I went for a city bike ride.  I rode through downtown.  I did not wear my clips because I was too worried about clipping in and out at all the intersections and traffic.  It felt weird biking in regular shoes--not as comfortable.  I have gotten used to clips.  There were so many lights that I felt significantly safer.  I only did about 12 miles and it was a lot of stop and start.  But I am getting more comfortable on the bike.  On Monday I hiked about 5 miles with the kids at Silver Falls.  Despite Kara throwing up on the way there (she gets motion sickness) and then having to find a second hand clothes store (forgot an extra outfit) we got a later start.  We still got a good hike in and went to four of the ten waterfalls.  Yesterday I swam with Tracy.  I am keeping track of my distance and I got in about 1500 yards which is a little less than a mile.  Today Tracy and I ran.  I went 4.80 miles and I thankfully had no IT band pain.  I think it was coming on slightly near the end, but not like last week.  I am using my foam roller 2-3 times a day and doing IT band stretches.  I am icing after workouts.  It is all helping significantly.  I may move up to running twice a week after school starts up but still keeping my mileage around 4-5 miles at least until winter.

Eating has been so much better.  Dr. M and I talked about eating.  She recommended cutting back on caffeine and sugar.  I have really cut back on caffeine the past 2 weeks...just a cup or two of coffee in the morning.  I don't eat a lot of sweet treats but I did at camp and on vacation.  It was hard to break that.  I've been having sweet potato breakfast burritos and vegan salads at lunch again.  My friend brought us fresh cucumber & cherry tomatoes.  The kids & I have been snacking on that.  Dr. M agreed with me that these shake diets and cleanses are trend diets and only selling an image--I really get annoyed with them.  I think the companies take advantage of people.  She said maybe look into being magnesium deficient because there are some connections with this and anxiety.  I really see Hailey moving towards the clean eating on her own initiative.  She would rather have a bowl of yogurt and berries or a salad instead of processed stuff.

My sleep is getting a lot better to.  Dr. M is pretty sure my insomnia was due to side effects and not anxiety itself.  I had no problems sleeping earlier in the summer.  I still wake up maybe once or twice, but I am not up for hours.  I fall asleep pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment