Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Bad bike ride but good swim and run

Yesterday I got out my bike for the first time in probably a year aside from some bike rides with the kids.  I give the whole ride a D+.  I am still struggling to clip in and out at intersections.  I thought taking back roads would be easier versus main roads.  It really wasn't because I had to keep crossing over main roads and that was almost worse.  There was so much stop and start I felt like I was hardly on the bike for more than a few minutes at a time.  I really don't mind biking with traffic.  It doesn't freak me out.  I struggle more with crossing traffic.  City biking in clips is not going to work for me.  I went a little less than 10 miles which isn't bad but the whole experience just plain stunk.  I am going to try biking along River Road and starting out there.  I'll park at the gym out there.  Or finding places a little bit out of the city.  Even biking Sunnyside Road to the Rees Hill neighborhood is less congested in the mornings and there is no traffic light after Mildred. I give myself a hard time about only sticking to Minto Brown but it is such a nice and safe place to bike--there are no cars.  If we lived in a place with long bike paths, I would be on those paths versus the streets. I may even look into biking with one of the local clubs.  I really can do this.  I beat myself up over it yesterday and it caused me some anxiety.  I even thought about quitting triathlon.  But I am feeling better today.

Today I ran four miles with Tracy and we talked about anxiety and biking anxiety which was helpful.  I also did my first open water swim of the season which went exceptionally better than my first bike ride of the season.  I swam about 0.4 miles.  I felt super strong in the water and I stayed relatively straight on.

So it's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment