Thursday, August 14, 2014

August 11 - 17

Monday - Half hour open water swim

We spent a good part of the day in Bend & Sisters.  It was SO hot in Sisters--felt like high 90's.  We got back to our campsite around 6 PM and went right to the lake.  It was pretty dead compared to Sunday when it was jam packed.  The kids were very content to play & swim (the water is pretty cold so they played by the shore most of the time).  I was able to do an open water swim which was amazing!  Suttle Lake is much clearer than the reservoir and VB's lake.  Reminded me more of Hagg Lake. Very little lake weed too--I was so happy I was able to get a swim in.

Tuesday - 40 minute run on the beach

We got to Lincoln City early afternoon.  I went running around 4.  It was in the 60's but warm enough to run in shorts and t-shirts.  No rain, but pretty cloudy.  Love running on the beach!  Always feel like I'm in my element.

Wednesday - 50 minute run on the beach

Ran around 5 PM and went the opposite way towards Newport.  A little bit easier as they weren't many streams to jump over.  And less crowded because I was going away from the city and the big resorts.  It was very very foggy--could hardly see a quarter mile ahead.  No rain though and still a great run.

Thursday - Bush Park Race--5K--around 26 minutes

My friend's son who was in my kid's running club was doing the mile run.  I wanted to go see him and then do the 5K afterwards.  The kids were staying home with Rob as they were pretty tired from the trip.  Starting the 5K I didn't feel as good as normal--dry throat and fatigued.  The air felt so humid to me even though I don't think it's overly humid.  It's only in the mid 70's so not extremely hot.  Once I was about seven minutes in the race, I felt better.  I found a pack to run in which was mostly high school cross country girls.  I always get passed on the downhill as it's not strength.  In the last mile the lady in my age category that kept trying to pass me walked so I stayed ahead of her the rest of the race.  I felt really good because some of the girls were slowing down and walking and I was able to hold my pace.  I finished around 26.  I usually am around 24 or 25--but this course is mostly grass and trail with some big hills.  I stuck around because I thought I placed.  Turns out I got second in my age group!  There are so many elite runners at this race I never come to close to placing--was excited that I did this time.

Friday - Power

I went to 5 PM Power and I love the instructor.  She pushes us hard and it's so good.  Except I am so incredibly sore today.  Back, triceps, biceps, legs.  I pushed it pretty hard.  The shoulders track was by far the hardest.  Struggled on triceps and biceps as well.  It was really good though.

Rob is getting over being sick.  Super congested and fever.  Kara had it so mildly for only a day.  It hardly affected her energy level or her sleep.  He got hit hard.  Curious if anyone else is doomed or if it's isolated.  We've not had a pass around sickness in a very very long time.  My throat is mildly sore right now, but I have had on and off allergies basically all summer.

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Approx. 40 minute bike ride

Yesterday was a very cruddy day and I can't really go into details why--except that it had nothing to do with the kids or our church or our families or Rob--just an isolated event.  We're slowly dealing with it.  I am thankful for my awesome summer friend who was there at the right time by God's grace and sent me an encouraging e-mail this afternoon.  I just NEEDED to get out the house and think and I think best when I'm in motion.  So I biked at Minto Brown.  I hadn't ridden my bike since the triathlon.  It helped a lot.  It was a good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment