Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 12 - 18

Monday:  Ran 4.5 miles

So nice Hailey did not have school so I could run at 7 AM.  Looking forward to Christmas Break (unless if Rob needs the extra office time and starts work at 7).  I have not run this far since the marathon or if I had only a handful of time.  When I ran into the headwind, it was hard.  I didn't stop at all.  The cool dry weather was pretty comfortable.  I know I worked myself more than a usual run because I am sore today.  I ran the Sumpter Park route I haven't done since the summer.  The fact I could get up the hills no problem and didn't struggle makes me think my endurance is in a good place.  I really think the swimming has helped more than I thought it would.

I think each week is going to be a little different in terms of what workouts I do when.  I am trying to plan it on Sunday what I want the week to look like.  For instance Rob has Bible Study every other Wednesday morning early so going to the gym is not an option.  But going to the gym in the evening doesn't work either because we have church stuff.  So those days I have to run on his lunch or take it off.  Or try and go to the gym over his lunch, but that's pushing it time wise.  This Saturday I am not planning on trying to make it to the gym because we have something in the morning and in the evening.  With running it was pretty easy.  I did 90% of my running outside so I just fit in and I could do it anywhere.  Now with needing a pool and a bike (indoor bike if it's raining) and Group Power once a week--I have to be way more scheduled and plan ahead.  That's OK.  I can work with that.  Most of my early mornings with the exception of Rob's Wednesdays are free.  It's just fighting the motivation to go back to sleep.

Tuesday - Bike 46 minutes

It was not raining (for once!) so I asked Rob if he wouldn't mind taking a late lunch.  I rode my bike through the Sumpter neighborhood over to the Wes Bennet neighborhood, up Commerical (still a little freaked out biking on Commercial)  to Browning and back home.  I didn't realize Browning is all uphill coming from Commercial.  I have run it so many times--hills are so different on a bike.  Nice to get my bike out--it's been awhile.  Would much prefer being outside.

Wednesday - Swam 16 minutes, Ran 13 minutes

I was going to go to early morning Group Ride, but because I biked yesterday--I opted to skip it.  Instead I went to the gym at 6 and swam 10 laps freestyle (4 with the pull buoy and 6 without) and then ran on the treadmill.  Good workout.  The pool was full by the time I was done so I am glad I got there when I did or I would have had to wait for a lane.

Hailey wants do the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving Day.  She REALLY wants to.  I don't know what to do.  On one hand she did the Awesome 3000 last year and the year before which is a little over a mile.  She wasn't exhausted afterwards--really upbeat.  She had fun doing it.  She hardly complained or cried or anything.  Her time was not very fast, but she is not very competitive--never has been.  She didn't care that she was in the middle of the pack.  On the other hand it's 3.1 miles and that's a lot.  She has hardly trained.  I am leaning towards letting her try it and doing it with her.  It would be fun for both of us.  Whether it is a good experience or terrible experience, it would be a learning experience.  I wish I knew someone to ask advice for on this but not many of my friends are runners.  Those that are don't have kids Hailey's age.  Or they are super competitive people and their kids are in year round sports and compete all the time--which is so not our family.

Thursday - Group Power 60 minutes & Swam 22 minutes

Group Power went fine.  Jen was sick so Sarah subbed for her.  She did a lot of tracks from 4 years ago so I remembered them.  The workout was fine.  A lot of use of the bar--no push ups or some of the newer tracks.  Which was fine.  Legs were probably the hardest for me today which is unusual.  Was happy when the lunges were over.

Swimming went fine.  I did around eleven laps.  I did two freestyle with the pull buoy, two without, and the breast stroke with the kickboard, and then repeat.  An old guy asked me if I wanted to play water volleyball with the senior instead of swim laps.  A little tempting.

I decided it is way too soon for Hailey to do 5K next week.  If she really wants to do one, we'll look into the one on December 15th or find one in January.  She needs to get a few runs in before she tackles that.

Friday - Group Ride (50 minutes) and Swim 13 minutes

Rob had to paint Derek's room all day so I knew the only time I could go to the gym was in the early morning.  I made it early Group Ride.  I enjoyed the class more this time--kind of figuring it out better.

I went downstairs to get in the pool but was irritated my goggles fell out of my bag.  I thought I had seen them laying on the floor by the fireplace--that's where they were.  I practiced breaststroke almost the whole time which I probably should have done earlier in the week.  I feel like I have improved, but I want to work with someone to make sure I am doing it right.  Maybe during Christmas Break or after the holidays.  I tried to do a few laps of freestyle, but it's really hard without goggles.  Oh well--I didn't feel like it was a total loss.

Saturday - REST!

Sunday - Ran 2 miles hills

Did a 2 mile hill run and it was hard!  Felt out of breath most of the time.  I ran in the neighborhood behind Roths.  Then I came back and ran a mile with Hailey which was MUCH more enjoyable.  She ran almost the whole way.  Her running has improved SIGNIFICANTLY in a year.  I can't believe how much stamina she has.  Her confidence is so much better.  We're going to try a 5K in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment