Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Awesome 3000 Training - Last Week!!

Sunday - Hailey was active all day

Hailey was at the VB's house all day. She hiked, canoed, and played. She had a great time.

Monday - Rest

Once again yucky miserable rain. It has not left yet! We decided to take a rest today.

Tuesday - Ran/walked 10 minutes

I am not following the training plan as closely. The training plan really caters to the kids running the 3K and Hailey is running half of that. We've done at least a mile and a half a couple times. I figure we should be tapering by now. So I had Hailey run around the parking lot and church for ten minutes. She took 2-3 walking breaks of around 30 seconds. She did the whole thing by herself. I did not run with her at all. I was trying to make sure Kara did not fall off the swing set while Hailey ran. Hailey is disciplined enough now to run on her own. When she started this process a few weeks ago, she could not do that. And she could not last more than a minute. Now she ran four minutes straight! I am looking forward to Saturday and hope it does not rain!

Wednesday - Hills

Hailey ran up the Hrubetz Road hill once and back down. She did this three times. Derek ran up once and ran back down once.

Thursday - Rest Day

Friday - Short run around the parking lot

Rob had Hailey do three short laps around the parking lot. He also made a pasta dinner in preparation for our big race!

Saturday - Awesome 3000!

I put the pictures up on facebook. We had a fun morning! The kids were very excited when we woke up. We got to Bush Park around 10:00 AM. We were told there would be massive amounts of people everywhere and that was the case. Thankfully we snagged a parking place not too far from the stadium. As we approached the stadium, we ran into Team Winter! It was very cool to see Winter and her brothers walking around. I kind of wished I would have had the kids wear their Team Winter shirts, but I also wanted them to wear their purple Awesome 3000 shirts like all the other kids.

It was starting to cloud over, but thankfully we only got a sprinkling of rain here and there throughout the morning. No downpours. As we checked in we ran into one of Hailey's close friends Sophie. I was glad Sophie was there to run in Hailey's heat. It was kind of crazy because you hand off your child to a volunteer who brings him/her to their age division in this roped off area. Then you don't see them until you pick them up from the finish line area. I knew Hailey would be fine. We saw her take off. She was near the back of the pack. As she passed by us, she looked so happy and excited. As she came in, she still had that smile pressed on her face. It was so adorable. It made me realize that it does not matter what time she got or if she was near the front of the pack. She had so much fun and tried something new. She said she enjoyed it. She ran/walked and got tired at some points, but just kept going. She wants to do another race with me this summer.

Derek and I did the very last race for kids three and under. It's untimed and just for fun. The track was so congested and packed. Derek did better running when he was not holding my hand. He fell a couple times. I think he tripped over his shoelace and then ran into another girl. I think he also got really excited and lost his balance. He was so excited to cross the finish line. He had a big grin on his face and high fived people. He was thrilled to get a medal and Clifford book. He's been carrying them around all day.

We went to Mc Donalds for lunch and there were a bunch of racers. It was cute to see the kids all talking about the race with one another.

I am really glad Hailey and I took this on and it was a great thing for our family to do together.

No comments:

Post a Comment