Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Busy Mom Diaries: You Have a Fat Stomach

Have you ever had a preschooler say to you, "Is there a baby in your belly?"  When clearly your baby is now six years old and your womb has not been occupied since.  Or have you ever had to answer the preschooler's question, "Why are all the teachers at this school fat?"  Or a simple statement I was given today by an innocent four year old--"You have a fat stomach."

Little children do not know that makes us moms self conscious.  They do not even know what it means to feel self conscious.  Yet we cannot help but wonder if the rest of the world sees us the way they do.

Aside from after my youngest was born, I have not been overweight.  I went on Weight Watchers which was an education I never had on how to eat healthy.  I also trained for another marathon.  I lost the weight over a few months.

Like other members in my family, all the weight I gain goes right to my stomach.  For some it is their thighs, their butt, their lower legs etc.  I get a little a bit of a gut. I can look a few months pregnant in certain outfits even though clearly I am not.  I have not dealt with many body image issues, but this is one I will be brutally honest about.  I don't like it very much.

Yes, I need to accept myself and the way God created my body.  I need to refrain from complaining about my body especially in front of people who generally struggle more with their weight.  But I have gained six pounds in the last few weeks.  I am also craving Chips Ahoy and Oreos.  I would like to have potato chips as a side dish.  I love ice cream in the evening.  I don't drink pop very much but I love a ice cold Coca Cola. And I don't want to keep going down that road.  It is much easier to keep going if I just say, "It's not a big deal.  Accept my body the way it is."  What if I keep sliding down this slippery slope of unhealthiness? These type of foods don't help me run better, don't give me long term energy, and the cravings increase.  Then what?

So yes I am striving to keep track of what I eat and striving to live healthier this month.  I had a great run this afternoon of 3.01 miles with an average pace of around 9:40 minute miles.  I will take it.


No comments:

Post a Comment