Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Busy Mom Diaries: 400 Meter Dash

One commitment I took on this month that I probably do not have time for...but had to seize the opportunity...was helping with track at my children's school.  I work an earlier shift this year making it possible to help with after school activities.  Last year this was not the case and it was even harder when I did in home daycare.

I am not a coach and I have zero coaching experience.  I am not much an athlete either...at least I was not one when I was younger. I did not appreciate running, competing, training etc. until I was much older.  I love to work with middle schoolers.  I love running.  It seemed like the perfect combination.  And it has been. Especially because I am not in charge and I can simply help wherever needed.

My son ran his first 400 meter dash.  This was my race in junior high.  It is a very difficult one for kids.  It is in between a sprint and a distance.  It is difficult to sprint the whole thing, but at the same time there is not much time to build.  It was difficult to prepare him for the race because running the 400 on a track is much different than running in practice...or running with me.  You have to face it and do it.  When he finished he was a little overwhelmed and hoped to run better, but I was proud of him for pushing himself hard to the finish line.  I said it was first time so he had no time to beat!

I feel that way with many things in life.  I want to prepare for things, but there are many things I cannot fully prepare for.  There comes a time that you have to face what is before you and simply push yourself forward.  Yes sometimes that means feeling a little overwhelmed.  What is God teaching you through this? What can we learn from it and how did it make us grow as Christians?

My son and I will be practicing at the track this weekend.  I need to work on my 400 intervals too!


For my workout today I swan 1200 yards with my tri friends at the pool in the early morning hours.  I am glad I started my day this way! I am still keeping my food diary too.


No comments:

Post a Comment