Monday, April 1, 2019

Busy Mom Diaries: Wellness

Today is the Monday after Spring Break which I have heard referred to as BS Monday.  When I awoke this morning thoughts of--"Maybe I should go back to being a stay at home mom.  There is enough at home to keep me busy" or "Maybe I should work part time" or "Why do the school breaks seem so short!?"  Kind of ironic it is April Fools Day too.

Today is also Wellness Day which is an annual event put on by the company I work for.  I tried to keep it in mind that I should have a good attitude about BS Monday Wellness Day.

Wellness means different things to different people.  The definition of wellness is the state of being in good health, especially as an actively pursued goal.  When I first heard about "Wellness Day" I pictured it as the wellness program my husband and I went on two years ago with some friends.  We had to change our meals and snacks to healthier options, exercise at least five time a week, practice good sleep habits, and check in with a coach.  I only lost one pound.  But I was able to completely give up soda during the five weeks and I have decreased my consumption since then.   That was probably the best thing I gained.

Wellness Day in our workplace means doing activities together to promote more self care and community. These create "good health" in our workplace. For some that means shopping, going to a movie, doing arts and crafts, and going out for lunch.  I would prefer a long bike ride, going for a hike or even a long run on Wellness Day.  I have not had co-workers interested in this.  So what I gain is fellowship outside of our normal day to day workday.  That strengthens our team and builds positive relationships.

I ended Wellness Day by helping out at my kid's school with the track team.  Running along the trails at our local park with them was more "wellness" for me and fun too.  I love seeing kids try running and push themselves even if they may not turn into runners.

I hope for this month I can continue to practice acts of wellness.  I am starting by choosing healthier meals. Having breakfast this morning with co-workers at an All You Can Eat buffet did not set the stage for healthy eating.  But I was able to keep my portions under control.  I am opting for a salad tonight instead of pizza.

As for exercise, this is my official rest day.  I did do some walking with my co-workers and running with the track team.  I am counting it an "unofficial workout."




No comments:

Post a Comment