Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September 17 - 23

Monday - Rest Day

I thought it would easier to bike on Sunday afternoons versus Monday mornings.  It's getting darker much earlier and I am always back too late when I bike.  I am pretty active on Mondays anyway.  I clean for 2-3 hours on Mondays and get caught up on laundry.  Plus I went on a walk to the store with the kids.

Tuesday - Ran 3 miles

Rob took a later lunch and I was able to run during it.  I felt very thirsty and hot.  I think we hit the high 80's or low 90's.  Not used to running in the heat.  I had to walk a little bit up a hill.  I ran through the Sumpter neighborhood.  Dumb city of Salem shut off the water fountain in Sumpter Park...what's the deal?  I don't think it's been working all summer.

Wednesday - Swam half hour

So I now I start my quest in becoming a swimmer.  I worked on flutter kicks, arms, and basic freestyle stroke.  I think I am making small improvements but still need lots of practice.  Hailey's teacher Audrey said the key is perfecting the straight legs so you get full strokes and this is exactly what I am struggling with...yet improving. I am thinking after I have done with this session of swim lessons, I might book a private lesson with Audrey sometime before Christmas.  I need to buy a pull buoy soon and I am hoping Big Five has them.  I swam for about twenty minutes and tread water for ten.  Hoping to get in the pool again tomorrow morning.  There are A LOT of swimmers in the mornings but thankfully I didn't have to wait for a lane.

Thursday - Swam 45 minutes

Well today was the first time I walked away from the pool more confident and less frustrated.  I am slowly getting it and figuring how to swim without feeling like I am going to lose a lung.  Someone took away all the kickboards except for this flimsy yellow one that was very hard to practice flutter kicks with.  I tried anyway.    I did about 4-5 laps practicing legs and breathing with the kickboard.  Then I practiced arms with the pull buoy I bought yesterday.  I did one lap freestyle with no kickboard or pull buoy and even that went pretty well.  I wish I wasn't so tired after only 20 minutes, but my stamina is slowly getting better too.  I tread water for 15 minutes and watched the seniors playing water volleyball.  I do miss Group Power and I miss running, but it is refreshing to try something new.  It's fun to try something Hailey is so interested in too.  We joke we have to work on the same things--straight legs.  I don't mind so much swimming in the mornings--it is a nice way to start the day.

Friday - Swam half hour

Today went even better!  I did two laps practicing flutter kicks with the kickboard.  Then I did three laps practicing freestyle with the kickboard.  Then I did two laps with the pull buoy.  Then I did two laps freestyle.  My stamina is better.  Not getting worn out nearly as quickly.  Still struggling with keeping legs straight and breathing issues now and then, but on the whole I think I have learned a lot and improved significantly in the last two weeks!

I found a sprint tri training program I really like.  If I did the Stayton Tri in May, I'd start the training program in early February.  Which is a couple months out but will be here before you know it.

Saturday - Swam 40 minutes

Swim lesson this morning.  So Josh was back and he was early.  He had already set up equipment.  I told him I usually started with flutter kicks.  I did one lap with the kickboard.  He said, "You're not flutter kicking.  You're scissor kicking."  Crud.  So he had me practice flutter kicking with the kickboard.  Better but still off.  He had me sit on the edge of the pool.  Then I went back and forth on my back to get the "flutter" movements.  Then he said, "You might already be flutter kicking when you do your freestyle."  He asked me to do the freestyle.  He said I was getting it.  I was just scissor kicking on one side once in awhile.  He said he sees a lot of improvement and I look more comfortable in the water.  Yay!  Enjoying swimming so much more.  I am going to keep working on flutter kicks this week.  My goal is to do two full laps non stop by the end of the month.

Sunday - Recreational Swimming

I had hope to go biking in the afternoon.  It was such a nice day!  Andrew & Cheryl invited us over and we couldn't turn down an end of the summer swim.  It was great!  I did a few laps with Hailey but mostly played with the kids.  Everyone was pretty tired by the late afternoon, but we still managed to get through evening church.


No comments:

Post a Comment