Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 6-12

I'm back.  Here's what I have been up to.  When I ended the last post, I missed going to Group Power for a second time.  Last minute we ended up going to friend's house and spending the whole afternoon and evening at their house and in their pool and hot tub.  Fun day.  The following day I climbed Mt. Defiance in the Columbia River Gorge with Cheryl, Matt, Jessica, Karen, Willona, and Jennifer.  It was such a TOUGH climb that I did not think any of us would summit.  But we all did!  It took our group about nine hours and the other group over ten.

The following day my whole legs were sore.  Worse than after I ran the marathon.  We had our church picnic at Silver Falls and I still managed to hike the South Falls loop holding Kara's hand the entire time.  She could have out hiked me no problem.  I could not bear to wear shoes because my feet felt so suffocated after being in boots all day long the day prior.  So I hiked in my flip flops.

It didn't really start hurting until Monday morning.  I took Tylenol and kept applying Icy Hot patches.  It was my upper thighs that hurt so bad--I've never been sore there after running.  We did so much climbing and downhill hiking--my legs are not used to that.  I knew there was no way I could go to Group Power much less run.  We were leaving for Philly on that Friday early morning so I didn't try to do anything.

In Philly I was not able to exercise at all due to our schedule and the place we were staying.  I don't think it would have been safe for me to go running alone.  We did lots of walking though especially our tourist day.  That felt good.  We were home less than 48 hours and then drove to Penticton, BC for the family vacation.  I ran one morning in Pentiction and it was wonderful.  I love running by the waterfront.  I wish I would have run a little more, but I was not very motivated.

Now we've been home since Sunday night.  And I'm still SO tired.  I don't feel like doing anything or seeing anyone except for my family and my friend Margaret who has been coming by everyday.  I've been taking her daughter to ILC's VBS with Hailey every morning.  I'm not ready to jump back into normal life.  My "to-do list" for next week (mostly church and Banner stuff) keeps growing.

I am motivated though to exercise so that's good.   I have not been eating great, but not terrible.  I have only gained about a pound.  I ate super healthy today.  It helps having all this fresh fruit and vegetables around.

Monday - No exercise

I was SO tired and needed to rest and sleep.  I barely got the kids to VBS on time.

Tuesday - Ran 3 miles

It felt so good to run again.  I did my regular three mile route after I dropped the kids off at VBS.  I am not as shape as I was, but I can still do three miles no problem.  Love the cooler mornings.  It's too hot to run after 1 PM.

Wednesday - 2 1/2 mile run & Group Power

I did my old route to Ewald.  It is just over two and a half miles.  It went fine.  I felt better than the day before.  Then I went to 5 PM Group Power.  Since Rob is still on vacation this week, we've been staying up later and watching the Olympics.  We've been sleeping until 8 AM.  Come next week I'll get back on a regular routine and try and make morning Group Power.  It was great to be at Power again.  The shoulder track is by far the most challenging for me.  Biceps and chest are second place.  I don't struggle as much on the squats and lunges or the abs workout.

Thursday - Ran a 5K and I don't know my time yet

Kind of decided this morning I would be up for going to the Willamette Roadrunners Cross Country night at Bush Park.  They have it every Thursday in August.  I only made it once last summer because I got a bad stomach bug and I didn't feel normal for well over a week.  Then we ran into scheduling conflicts with other stuff near the end of the month. Anyway Hailey and Derek did the kid's race.  They aren't competitive runners like some of the other kids there, but they had fun.  I guess I don't really care about them placing or winning--I would rather just have them enjoy it and do their best.  They're so young to be all competitive.  Anyway the 5K is a tough course because very little of it is on asphalt or pavement.  It's rocks, wood chips, and grass--not used to that.  And hilly too.  I noticed on all the uphills I pass so many people.  I am pretty good at uphill.  Then they often caught up to me on the downhill.  Downhills are almost harder for me.  I didn't place.  Last summer I hardly even came close to placing.  It's a lot of elite runners--a little intimidating. I felt great doing it and I would do one or two more before the summer is over.   It's nice to be outside and at the park on a weeknight.

Friday - Bike 27 minutes, swam around 20 minutes

I went to the gym later in the day around 7:30ish.  Did the stationary bike and pushed myself pretty hard.  I did hills and it was tough.  My thighs were hurting after I was done.  I was able to swim a lap, take a short break and swim another.  I swam a few lengths with breaks in between.  Then I did two laps with the kickboard.  Felt good to be in the water!  I am getting more confident.  I might to do 2-3 weeks of just swimming this fall.

Weekend

I have been a little behind on tracking my exercise.  Saturday I did not go the gym because our cat was trapped under the house for five hours.  We thought she was in the walls.  It took some problem solving and then some effort to retrieve her.  It honestly felt like a workout.  By late afternoon, I was done.  I had no interest in trying to go the gym or exercise.  On Sunday I took the day off as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment