Monday, February 27, 2012

Marathon Training Week #4

Monday - Ran 3 miles, 10 minutes of stretching & abs

Sore throat is still there, but does not seem to be getting worse. It's a mild cold. I think Hailey is almost over it and Derek too. Not stressing over it. It did affect my running. My chest felt tighter and I could not breathe as well. My legs are still sore. I felt better once I hit the second mile. The sun was out. It got quite a bit cooler, but I'll take the sun. I think today was the only day we're supposed to have sun all week. Enjoy it while we can.

I restarted my gym membership. I also bought a mesh vest for running in the dark--will be much safer when I run in the mornings. The sun is starting to come out earlier, but it's still quite dark at 6:00 AM. I also got headphones so I can watch TV while I do the treadmills at the gym. I'm only planning on doing the treadmill once a week if that and not at all for long runs. I'm hoping to use the gym for mostly weights and cross training.

Tuesday - Ran 6 miles & 10 minutes of stretching & abs

So impressed with myself I got up at 5:53, out of bed by 5:57 and running by 6:08. I ran the Kuebler to Commercial route to Madras and back. It went really well. I felt better than yesterday. Thankfully it did not start raining today until around 9 AM so thankful I missed it! It was cool and cloudy, but no rain. The kids want to go to LIMEberry tonight so I might go over the calories slightly. I have not taken since the summer so figure it's a good time. My coupon expires today. Still trying to eat healthy as much as possible.

Wednesday - Ran 6 miles on the treadmill

My throat is still not good. I am pretty sure it's not strep. It's raspy and I have a cold. My appetite is normal and I have no fever. It's taking it's time to go away. I am not running in the mornings until it is fully gone and it's not snowing anymore. So I went to the gym at 8 PM and decided to do the 6 miler I planned on doing on Thursday.

Wow I can actually run on a treadmill now without feeling like I am going to keel over. I still don't like it as much as outside. Watching the Food Network and exercising with other people around me was a nice break from the normal routine. I ran at mostly a 6.5 speed and 1 incline.

I also weighed myself on a more accurate scale and I'm down to 124. I have lost about 9-10 pounds since right before Christmas. I've been working pretty hard.

Thursday - 3 miles (hills)

Ugh, this sore throat will not go away. It's only bad in the mornings and at night. I thought about not running at all today and certainly not do hills. But I ran OK even with the bad throat. It's just annoying to have a raspy throat all day and cough. I need to get over it. I ran up the Boone hills. They were tough--they're always tough. I made it. I was way too warm. With the snow coming this morning, I thought it would be really cold outside. It warmed up so fast. I could have worn shorts and a t-shirt again. People in Michigan say their weather is unpredictable, but it's not like here. I don't know anywhere where you can have a snow day (all the schools were closed) and the roads are icy in the morning. And the kids are playing in the snow. Then by lunch time everything is starting to melt, it's warm, and people aren't wearing coats.

Newport Marathon filled so it looks like I won't be running that one. If it doesn't fill up in the next two weeks or so, I hope to do Rock and Roll Seattle. The cool thing is I will run a marathon in a new state. So far I have run marathons in Oregon and California. It will be a new course. I am told Rock and Roll marathons are really fun. The downside is I would be back to Week #1. I am sticking with the current plan as or right now. I will probably repeat the weeks in March when we were Disney and possibly repeat the week in April when I am in Grand Rapids. I will probably miss a couple runs those week so I'll just repeat the week. I think this gives me a little more freedom in the training anyway. I hope Seattle doesn't fill up. I don't have many more options except for waiting until September. One of the teachers at Hailey's school is doing Rock and Roll Seattle as well.

Friday - Cross Training - Swimming & Jumping on the trampolines

I swam with the kick board for about 20 minutes. Then I practiced the front crawl for about 15--whoa I need some help. Hoping to start swim lessons later in the summer/fall. For now any practice is good. I tread water for about 20 minutes in the warm pool. Later that evening I took the middle schoolers to Sky High sports and jumped with them on the trampolines for a half hour. They lasted the whole hour--they have way more energy than I do!! I was afraid of bending of breaking something! My body is not quite the same anymore as theirs.

Saturday - Rest Day

Sunday - Rest Day -- no running :(

My throat has gotten worse. The last 36 hours have not been good. Swallowing is starting to hurt more--not like when I had strep. I feel like I have a tickle in it. I cough sometimes. I am not overly tired or fatigued. I am not going to run until it feels better. Because I am not sure the intense exercise is helping me get over it any faster. It's been a week now since it started. I took Nyquil last night and it helped me sleep. I slept wonderfully which was I totally needed. It's not been a good day. I am guessing if it's not better by midweek I am going to have to go in. :( Which I don't want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment