Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Pre Marathon Training Week #1 of 5

Last summer I had my heart set on doing an Olympic triathlon at the end of the summer.  June began and the summer looked like a fresh clean slate as it always done.  Not having enough time was no excuse.   I was not working nor was I taking a class.  I had all kinds of time.  I began the training regimen and gained confidence in my cycling.  I did a few rides with the Salem Bicycle Club.  But by August I lost interest and decided to not "tri" a longer triathlon.  It was difficult next to impossible to train on our DC/NY trip.  I dealt with similar obstacles a few weeks later when we were in Michigan.

This summer is turning into a repeat except I threw out the idea of training for a triathlon much earlier--this past week in fact.  I lost motivation but I also considered the things I want out of this summer.  I work full time now away from the home during the school year and am trying to complete this early childhood education associate degree.  I want quality time with my family this summer.

When I was talking to my brother-in-law in Tennessee, he was sharing the time restraints required to train for an Ironman triathlon.  He said he refused to drive places to train. I would have to drive all the way to Silverton to any sort of open water training.  The long bicycle rides take place on Saturdays when I want to be with the family.

Last summer we were on sabbatical but I do not feel like I learned the discipline of rest and Sabbath until this summer.  I still went to Camp Calvin last summer which was very exhausting.  I was still writing for The Banner which I wanted to quit by late July.  I was busily searching for an ETM co-leader.  Since I did not have one by mid August, I found myself in a tailspin of anxiety.  There was much uncertainty about my new job.  I knew I had a job but pay, location, practicum location were not determined until mid September.  I wanted time to work on guitar and paint.  I did not pick up my guitar all summer.  I never painted either.  I spent quite a bit of time training for a triathlon I never ended up doing anyway.  Although it was a wonderful summer, it was a learning experience too.

So now here we are in early July.  I don't want to make the financial investment of approximately $125.00 to do a triathlon at the end of the summer.  When my heart is not really into it.  What I do want to do and what I have wanted to do for a very long time is to run a marathon in Arizona.  I have my mind set on the Arizona Rock and Roll Marathon in January.  I want to follow Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 program which allows me to bike one day a week and swim one day a week.  I plan to bike with the club or by myself until it gets cold out.  Then I will switch to Spin Class. I can swim in the outdoor pool or indoor pool until early September.  Running is where my passion is.  It always has been.

The problem is I don't know if my IT band can handle it.  I have been having problems with it for several years.  Once I hit around 9 or 10 miles, it acts up.  I think I could still swing a half marathon even if I have to be in pain the last few miles.  The Rock and Roll would allow me to switch to the half with no consequences.  I need to be proactive on doing my physical therapy.  My PT said the main problem is my hips are too weak and I am not strengthening them enough.  So if I can continue to do my PT, gradually add miles, and take care of my body--I might be able to complete my fifth marathon.

So I have four Pre-weeks before I would actually have to start training for it.  I have been exercising off and on since summer began.  I have eaten terrible the last few days and not done much exercise since last Wednesday.  So it's going to be a slow start...so slow in fact I decided not to exercise today for no good reason.  Once I hit my motivation, I think I will be fine.  I am just praying I don't deal with the IT band issues.  It has been very discouraging once I hit that point.

I am not going run more than six to seven miles the next four weeks.  That will allow me to gradually build.  The Marathon 3 program is 24 weeks long so it does gradually build to the 20 miles which I would not do until the late fall.  In 8 weeks I would need to run 9 miles.  That is typically the point I start feeling the pain.

I am going to blog about it so I can track it and also hold myself accountable for doing my PT.

Monday = Rest

Tuesday = Viper.  It hurt but I felt like I was working all the running muscles I am supposed to be working!

Wednesday = Ran 4.01 miles.  Somehow Map My Run glitched or something happened because I lost my stats.  I did run 4 miles at about a 9.50 - 10.00 minute mile pace.  I ran with Tracy.  We tackled the Jones hill.  My glutes are so sore from Viper!  I cannot believe how much they hurt.  I could barely squat down to pick up the newspaper.

Thursday = Swam 1,000 yards in the outdoor pool.  I love swimming laps outside in the summer!  My legs STILL hurt from Viper.

Friday = Ran 4 miles with an average pace of around 9:30.  I pushed myself pretty hard and felt like I got a good workout.  I am liking the idea of focusing on running and not feeling the pressure of triathlon.

Saturday = Intervals at Wendy Kroger Park.  The loop at Wendy Kroger is slightly less than a track.  It is about 0.18 miles while the track is 0.25.  I did about a mile of intervals--one fast lap followed by a recovery lap.  Plus I ran to the pool while Hailey biked.  I might do intervals at the park instead of the track or not as often as going to the track.  It is way more convenient staying close to home.

Sunday = Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment