Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Spring Break

Not going anywhere over Spring Break and doing local activities was one of the best decisions we have made in a long time.  It has been a very good so far.  We're reconnected as a family, we are rested, and we have some general "downtime" which we have been craving.

Last week was a great week exercise wise.  I did get to Power on Tuesday.  I did 1,550 yards of swimming on Wednesday again.  Thursday I did have to work, but it was amazingly beautiful out.  After work, I rode my bike from the South River Road Courthouse to the Independence bridge and back--approximately 16 1/2 miles. It was nice to be outside.  I was a little tired with the strong winds, but pretty confident on the bike.  On Friday I did have to work again, but I ran six miles after work.  It was warm and beautiful out.  I did a big loop around the Sumpter neighborhood and hit some hills.  I am still starting out too fast at a 8 1/2 minute mile pace and I can't carry it.  My pace always goes down from there.  I feel like I am starting slow, but I am not.  Saturday I took the day off as we were downtown a good part of the day and then out in Keizer at a party.  Sunday started out cold, wet, and rainy.  It cleared up around 3 PM.  So I biked again outside at Minto Brown doing just under 12 miles.  Then I ran 2 1/2 miles afterwards.  Because of all the rain, some of the paths are closed and are under water.  It is really muddy in some places as well. The river is really high right now.  It made the bike ride a lot of stop and start.  The clipping and clipping out was very good practice for me.  I am way more better at it than I was last spring.  I am more confident and feel safer on the bike.  Those long bike rides at the end of the summer helped.

I am looking into some group rides through the Salem Bicycle Club.  I wish I had some people to ride with.  My triathlon friends are almost all single or don't have young families so they have more availability than I do.  I am locked into certain time periods I can actually go riding.

This week so far I ran a little over 6 miles Monday late morning.  Weather was a little wet but not a downpour.  I started out too fast again, but I can carry about a 9 minute mile pace.  Then today I went to the mid morning Group Power which was nice.  It is a nice change of pace to not have to go to early morning workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment