Monday, August 19, 2013

August 18 - 25

Monday - Ran 3 miles

Monday mornings are hard.  They are going to be even harder once school starts because I have to start earlier.  I got out the door by 6:45.  I ran three miles.  It was fine.  My right knee is slightly giving out at times.  I am going to use poles when I hike on Saturday or I'm worried it is going to give totally out or I will get bursitis. I probably am due for new running shoes and have to add to the list of other things I need to buy.  :(  I also slept funny again last night and left shoulder and neck hurt again.  That didn't really affect my running at all.  I got a gift card for a massage and will probably get it after we climb St. Helens.

Tuesday - Outside Biking - 1 hour - approximately 14 miles

Hard to get up again today.  Managed to get out the door by about 6:10 AM.  I biked to Minto Brown.  My seat still needs to be fixed and I have to go to the bike shop.  I have to wiggle it back into place after I over a bump and feel like I am doing a butt dance. Biking there is almost downhill the whole way.  Biking back was much harder...I was pretty tired.  All in all it was great ride and good way to start the day.  Plus I like biking at Minto in the morning when the steam is coming off the pond and the river is so calm.

Rob is not sick but has some stomach thing and really hoping it's isolated and I don't get it.  His appetite is pretty normal and he went to work so hoping it's nothing major.  We've been SO blessed with little illness this whole year.  Just colds which most of us can handle pretty well.

I was reading previous entries from a few years ago when I was struggling with anxiety.  It's really good to have it recorded and trace patterns.  I have been on an antidepressant Welbutrin which is different from Prozak, Zoloft, and Paxil which are related for a year now.  It has really evened out my moods.  I still get irritable and anxious at times, but it seems less severe and doesn't last for days.  Honestly sometimes it seems to only last 1 hour or so and I can find my way out of it.  I can think clearly and make sound decisions.  I still exaggerate at times and can be dramatic...some of that is part of my personality and who I am...but I have learned to express myself in a more positive way.  Some people who are very introverted are encouraged to show more emotion and express their feelings.  I, on the other hand, have had to learn to find a poker face and keep my emotions under control until I can express them in the right context.  Not always easy, but not nearly as hard as it used to be.

Wednesday - Swam 40 minutes

My tri friends are on a biking expedition.  They told me ahead of time they wouldn't be at the pool this morning.  I opted to go after the other tri people had already left.  These are the hard hard core tri people who compete like every single weekend and place.  They hadn't been at the pool for months, but they were there this morning.  I got to the pool as they were leaving.  Mornings have been hard this week.  I am so tired and don't want to get up.  I have been fighting it bad.  I almost went back to sleep and was going to say to "Screw it" to swimming this morning like six times.  I managed to get out the door by 6:10--a little later than I hoped.  I am going to have to go earlier once school starts. I did get a good workout in.  I worked on specific drills I needed to work on.  As much as I love swimming with others I was able to do the whole workout at my own pace and not worry about keeping up...or condensing down the workout.  My 50 yard swim time is still about 1 minute 20 seconds and I worked on some speed drills as well.  I know I love summer especially the daylight, warm weather, open schedule.  Today I just feel ready for fall and want to get moving with it.  The kids need it too.  They are ready for school.

Thursday - Group Power - 1 hour

Power was better today.  Not nearly as painful as past two weeks.  A little easier to get up this morning even though I did contemplate not going.  Kara is not feverish and ate most of her breakfast, but she's coughing pretty bad and wants to lay on the couch.  She has skipped her nap for the past five days and I know she's overtired.  Hoping I don't get sick tonight or tomorrow or Saturday as we're climbing Mt. Saint Helens.  I think I could still climb with a cold and take it slow so hoping it's not much worse than that.

Friday - Rest

It was Rob's birthday and we had a couple things planned.  Plus we had to drop the kids off at VB's house at 3:30 PM and depart for St. Helens by 4:30.  I wanted to run, but was sore from Power.  Decided to rest.

Saturday - Mt Saint Helens Climb - 10 hours

I am doing a blog post about it on my other blog.  We started around 8:15 AM and reached the summit by around 2.  We sat at the summit for close to an hour.  We made it to the tree line just after 5 and were back to camp around 6:15 PM.  Long day, but what an accomplishment!  It was not like a hike...more like a rock climb.  The forest was about 2 miles.  Once we were out the forest it was climbing boulders.  There was no marked trail, just poles pointing you in the right direction.  Then it was all loose rock to the top.  Rob really struggled the last two hours or so.  He couldn't catch his breath and it was causing him to feel sick and have no appetite.  We think he might have a form of asthma.  The air was getting thinner and he couldn't breathe very well--he almost quit and was going to sit and wait for us.  He kept going.  Jennifer and I left the group and pushed our way to the top.  I felt pretty good most of the climb...tired at times and sick of the boulders...but overall good.  Rob flew going down.  At times I was having a hard time keeping up with Rob, Jennifer, and Karen but I am much shorter climbing over the rocks.  I was so thankful I had my hiking poles!  They helped so much.  Craig and Joy took their time on the rocks and were behind us.  But they caught up to us at the tree line.  We only saw Matt, Devin, Adam, Matt & Denise at the summit but we realized they were only 15 minutes ahead of us.  They actually took longer going down than going up whereas it was the other way around with our group.  It was very exciting to have completed it.  I am very sore, but I love hiking!  Karen and I were already talking what hikes we want to do next.

Sunday - Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment