Monday, October 8, 2012

October 8 - 14

Monday:  Biked 5 miles, Ran 1 mile (approximately 35 minutes total not counting transition and traffic lights)

This was the first time I biked and then transitioned to run.  It is so different starting run after you've biked.  Once I got going on the run, I felt fine.  The bike was harder.  I struggled on some of the hills.  But I felt great afterwards.  My endurance is still pretty good.  I found a triathlon training program for beginners.  I think I am going to start it after I finish swim lessons so that would be early November.  It is four months long and it's swim focused meaning I swim the most of three exercises.  Even if I don't do a triathlon until May or June, I can just keep increasing the time.  It's set up by time not miles.  Each week just adds 2-3 minutes with a kick back week.  It would be super easy to formulate on my own.  Plus I can repeat weeks when we get busy (like around Christmas).  I am going to miss this weather--it's been one of the best falls ever!  So much warm and 70's - 80's.  I think it's going to rain this weekend.  :(

Tuesday:  Ran 3 miles

I got out the door just after 6:30.  It felt so good to run.  I was going pretty fast and felt like I was running off "steam."  I was kind of frustrated with something last night and it carried over to this morning.  I feel better now thankfully.  Kind of a crazy morning and I missed breakfast which almost never happens.  I ended up eating McD's while the kids were in preschool.  Not the greatest choice of foods, but I figure once in awhile is not a big deal.  I never eat fast food for breakfast.  Ever.  I thought this week would be easygoing, but it is proving to not be that way.  Thankfully I have some time now to get caught up things and I don't have to go anywhere tonight.  Thank goodness for exercise--it really helps.

Wednesday:  Swam 450 km (9 laps) & five minutes of breast stroke/kick turns

Got out the door by 5:50 and in the pool by 6:10.  I did two laps non stop of freestyle.  Then I did seven laps freestyle with the pull buoy and only took little breaks between the laps--not the lengths.  I wish I had the endurance to go longer without the pull buoy and it is still so tough.  I am making progress and really pushing myself.  My form is so much better even than what it was at one week ago.  Josh told me to practice kick turns and somersaults in the pool.  First try so much water in the nose--bleck.  The next few times no water in the nose but totally sideways and all over the place.  I felt like a fool.  Oh well--guess you have to start somewhere.  It was hard to do it after being so tired from swimming laps.  But I should be able to practice tomorrow and for sure on Friday when I have a bit more time.

Thursday - Rest

So hard to get up Thursday mornings after youth group Wednesday nights.  Youth group went awesome though--loving it!  Feel like my long lost spark for youth ministry returned.  Love those kids!!  And it's cool because my kids love those kids and vice versa.

Anyway I think I might try and go to Group Ride Thursday mornings instead of swim.  Or try to both but that might be too much.  I miss going to a class.

Friday - Swam 40 minutes, Bike 22 minutes

Big workout this morning. Swimming stunk at the beginning.  I realized I need to do a warm up lap either with the kickboard or pull buoy before I jump right into it.  My legs were off, arms were off, I felt like I was suffocated.  I felt awful.  Once I did two laps, I felt fine.  I did three full laps with the pull buoy.  I think I am going to work on endurance on Wednesdays.  The triathlon guide says to just keep doing laps and switch to breaststroke or backstroke if you have to.  I never officially learned either stroke but I taught myself to do them. I might just ask Josh if I am doing them right.  I did that a little today--I did a lap of breaststroke in between.  I stopped and counted slowly to "10" before beginning another lap just to catch my breath.  The lady in the lane next to me would switch to breaststroke or even flutter kicking with the kickboard and then do a few laps of freestyle.  I think that would be good for me to do too.

I tried kick turns again and I need some major instruction because I am so lopsided.  I can do them if I am using my hands to touch the bottom of the pool and redirect my body like I am doing a handstand.  Some if it is fear of getting a bunch of water in my nose or getting dizzy.  They are so much harder than I thought they would be.

After swimming I biked on the stationary bike for 22 minutes.  I pushed myself pretty hard and it was a good workout.

Saturday - Swim lessons - 40 minutes, Lap swimming with Hailey & practicing kick turns--approximately 35 minutes

I was so tired this morning.  We went out with Andrew & Cheryl.  Even though they left by 10, I did not go to bed until midnight.  It was hard to get up this morning.  I felt so tired even as I was driving to swim lessons.  I really was not in the mood and hoped I could get more in the mood once I got in the pool.  I still needed practice with my arms so we worked on that the entire time.  It's much better--I am doing better on the weak side.  Josh said one side will always be stronger than the other.  I really made some progress and swam laps almost the whole time with small breaks.  Josh said to touch my hand to my thigh on every single stroke and I will get the form down.  It helped.

I came home and was very surprised that that Rob had just returned from urgent care.  He had to take the church van with no car seats.  I think you might not need car seats because it is the same level as a bus?  Probably not.  It was only a mile drive.  Anyway Derek fell off a stool and gashed open his head.  It was bleeding so bad they had to stitch it right away.  He was very brave and Rob said the girls did fine.  Hailey was a little shook up.  Derek is totally fine.  I am glad Rob didn't call me or I would have freaked out.  He tried calling me at 9:45, but I was already driving.  I didn't hear the phone go off.

I took Hailey to the gym around 2.  We practiced lap swimming for a little bit.  She practiced her freestyle and backstroke.  She can swim a full lap of freestyle with a kickboard and probably about a length without.  We went over to the warm pool where she could play.  I practiced flip turns and breaststroke.  We had a great time.  We also played basketball for 15-20 minutes in the gym.  I signed her up for basketball--she really wants to try it.  We'll see if she likes it.  I hated basketball, but I think I would have liked it had I tried it later on.  I think I would have liked just playing with friends, but I always shyed away from it.

Wow--crazy weekend.  The rain has officially returned.  We can't complain.  We had the driest September on record.  We knew it was coming.  We couldn't have our sun forever.  It was in the high 60's though so at least it's not cold.  No winter coats for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment